Monday, May 29, 2017

And I'll Gladly Stand Up ....


Memorial Day is so incredibly special to me, and special isn't even a good enough word for it. 

I know, without a doubt, that all of the luxuries and quality of life I enjoy are completely and wholly the result of people who have given their lives to advance goodness and protect it.

I also realize I will never fully know what these people have suffered and sacrificed so that I can live the American Dream.

I do my best to live a life a gratitude to all Veterans. If I see someone in uniform, or wearing a VFW hat, I make a point to verbally thank them and talk to them. I make sure that every year, I donate money to a Veteran Organization.

But, we come to a difficulty with Memorial Day, where we pay a special tribute to our Fallen Veterans, because they are not here for us to thank in any way.

However, I did realize something. We can honor them by carrying on the noble visions of our nation - basically everything in the constitution. Continue their work. It doesn't sound like much, but it's in living that we tell our story. So it's a big deal.

There is also a way to help them. Prayer. It is the only useful thing I can do for them. 
So, does this mean ........Yes, I believe in Purgatory. That, when you cross over the veil of this life and say "yes" to the Christ, but aren't perfect enough to live in the glory of Heaven (which is perfection itself, otherwise why would it be so amazingly good?), you are in a temporary place called purgatory. God, in His mercy, allows us to undergo purgation - where we are made pure. I offer prayer, daily hardships (and even joys) to help these holy friends of mine.

I know I don't talk about it much, but it really is a huge part of who I am. We owe so much to these people. Let's be sure Memorial Day isn't just another day to get stuff done, or a reason to go up north. Remember why it's here in the first place.

Valerie Martin memorial day tribute



This is a song that brings personally brings me back to my High School days, when I was softly considering joining the forces. More specifically, I was at a State FFA Convention and the choir sang this song. It is one of my favorites. I recall all the personal stories I have heard from veterans during this song, and I always cry.




No comments:

Post a Comment